Dear Duncan, dear Gabor,

Thank you for this additional information and all these great tips.

Setting the system path in the following way solved my problem:
c:\Rtools\bin;c:\Rtools\perl\bin;c:\Rtools\MinGW\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\Programme\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\

Luckily this solves also the problem with potential conflicts between R tools, Microsoft tools and ROOT, so that I do not have to rename any tools (which I would be reluctant to do).

Since at the moment everything seems to work fine, and I am no Windows expert (I do all my development on my Mac), I will keep the current setting, however, the next time I have to set up everything, I will try to take advantage of Rcmd.bat since Gabor mentions that it will not override any of my settings.

Regarding the R installation documentation, I understand now that this seems to be a problem of my complicated setup and not a general problem, so adding this information may confuse other people.

Best regards
Christian