Oleg,

On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:47 , Sklyar, Oleg (London) wrote:

Simon,

I would not like to take it offline as I disagree with your points and think it is fair to let other users know why.

I didn't say offline, I said other thread, since this is not really about GSOC so I think this is getting OT ...

To make it clear first, I am most interested in 2D, not 3D plots, and rgobbi is not a good enough solution, unfortunately.

1) I spent loads of time looking for good, if any at all, interactive graphics packages for R. There are hardly many, and apart from rgl there are no good ones as I see it.

Maybe we are talking about entirely different things here - rgl is not interactive graphics at all - it is essentially a 3d renderer/viewer, not a data analytic tool [although it can be (ab)used as a very limited one for very specific tasks] - see literature on interactive graphics ...

I do accept that this can be subjective, but I think many people will share my opinion.

2) With respect to iplots:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/iplots/index.html states:
Version:        1.1-3
Depends:        R (≥ 1.5.0), methods, rJava (≥ 0.5-0)

http://www.rosuda.org/iplots/ states:
News:

   * 2007/08/07 Released iplots_1.1-1 on CRAN...

There might be version 3 available somewhere, but it is not obvious where and the above one is Java based. I have tried the above version about 4 months ago -- it was slow, unstable and did not have any support for time axis at all. If I find it, I will give it a try and will be able to post corresponding comments.

<free-software-author's rant>
At the very least it is polite to report any such issues (with details) to the authors. Comments like "X is bad, slow and crashes" are completely useless since they are unsubstantiated claims that don't help in creating better software -- neither are they helpful as a starting point for creating new software. If you want to be of any use to the community you should be more specific as of what you are talking about, what are the data examples etc. and talk to the authors.
</free-software-author's rant>
Given your comments I suspect you have very specific ideas of use, but we can only know when you tell us. In general, Java graphics are not slow, in fact they are often faster than conventional "native" implementations and are far more flexible.
[[split off to Java for graphics thread if you wish]]

As for iPlots, the development has shifted a while ago from the 'old' iPlots to the new ones which are in development stage (as I said they are announced for the useR! conference). My point was not about telling you to use a specific software, it was rather about making you aware of the fact that what you describe already exists (ggobi definitely is IG in GTK) and/or is worked on (iPlots 3.0) with possibly better approach.

I do fully support a GSOC proposal for interactive graphics software, it's just I think your formulation included some unnecessarily restricting details and personal opinions as well as misunderstandings as of what interactive graphics are. If we get that right, I think it's a great opportunity.
[[only this is really for the GSOC thread]]

2) rggobi is not a solution for 2D graphics at all and this is what is missing in R. I would not mention rgobbi myself having had no look at it first. However, if somebody works on interactive 2D plots, there is no reason why this person should think of 3D as well to have all in one framework.

I'll let ggobi authors respond to that, but ggobi is not about 3d at all - in fact 3d is just a very small part of ggobi. Again, I suspect it's not really interactive graphics that you have in mind and/or you are not familiar with it ...
[[split off to ggobi thread]]

3) I have a prototype using gtkdatabox for very fast interactive plots in R using GTK, but it is limited by the capabilities of the gtkdatabox widget, not that of R or GTK as such.

I don't know about your prototype, so I cannot really comment on that, but gtkdatabox is not IG, either.

I do think there is a need for an interactive graphics package for R.

I do completely agree with that, but interactive means it satisfies basic requirements on IG such as the availability of selection, highlighting, queries, interactive change of parameters etc. This is not about 2d/3d clouds at all - that we have for decades already. Also this is not about "hacks" to glue on interactivity to existing graphics systems with a chewing gum. We need a versatile (possible extensible) set of interactive statistical plots -- at least that's what our experience shows.

Cheers,
Simon