Wacek Kusnierczyk wrote:
[snip]
i just can't get it why the manual does not manifestly explain what
'names<-' does, and leaves you doing the guesswork you suggest.

I'm having trouble understanding the point of this discussion. Someone is calling a replacement function in a way that it's not meant to be used, and is them complaining about it not doing what he thinks it should, or about the documentation not describing what happens when one does that?

Is there anything incorrect or missing in the help page for normal usage of the replacement function for 'names'? (i.e., when used in an expression like 'names(x) <- ...')

R does give one the ability to use its facilities in non-standard ways. However, I don't see much value in the help page for 'gun' attempting to describe the ways in which the bones in your foot will be shattered should you choose to point the gun at your foot and pull the trigger. Reminds me of the story of the guy in New York, who after injuring his back in refrigerator-carrying race, sued the manufacturer of the refrigerator for not having a warning label against that sort of use.

-- Tony Plate