Seth Falcon wrote:
* On 2009-10-16 at 15:00 +0200 sj...@damtp.cam.ac.uk wrote:
I think Rscript has a problem running files that have mac encodings
for newline (^M rather than ^J on linux).  If I source the file within
R, it works okay:

source('j.R')
[1] "MEA_data/sernagor_new/CRX_P7_1.txt"

But if I run the file using Rscript on a linux box I get a strange
error message:
$ Rscript --vanilla j.R
"
Execution halted

I think you are right that Rscript is unhappy to handle files with CR
line terminators.  But IIUC, the purpose of Rscript is to enable R
script execution on unix-like systems like:

   #!/path/to/Rscript --vanilla
   print(1:10)

So then I'm not sure how useful it is for Rscript to handle such
files.  Why not convert to a more common and portable line termination
for your R script files?

Notice also that other script interpreters aren't happy about CR line endings:

$ cat > x.sh
#!/bin/bash
echo hello

Now change the LF to CR and get

$ ./x.sh
bash: ./x.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

or (if you add a space)

$ ./x.sh
 echo hello: No such file or directory

$ bash -v ./x.sh
 echo hello

(overprinting is involved in the last one).

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Ă˜ster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalga...@biostat.ku.dk)              FAX: (+45) 35327907