On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Jeff Hamann <jeff.d.ham...@gmail.com>wrote:

> R Developers,
>
> I cannot seem to find an R package that can read/write iCalendar (RFC2445)
> files.
>
> I have found the libical library at sourceforge. I've used it briefly so it
> may be what I need, but again no R interface. I may have to connect the dots
> myself.
>
> I'm guessing this might be useful for someone other than myself (scrubbing
> files, performing temporal analysis on events, etc).
>
> Since I need to perform these tasks, I will probably do it using R if I can
> get away with it.
>
> Can anyone provide some basic advice for me? A list object of entries? The
> original data will be coming from an SQL table/view result.
>
> Is there any interest in helping with funding such a small project?

 Small project? The python icalendar package is about 3000 lines of code,
plus tests.

 ical is quite a complex format with all sorts of functionalities. The
chances are that if your ical files come from a simple source and don't use
all the complications of ical format then you can write an ad-hoc parser
that just strips out the event time (or whatever) you need.

 If you still *do* want to write a full iCalendar reader/parser, the python
package might be a good place to start and look for ideas.

Barry

--
blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings