On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Vincenzo Carey <carey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Rare" is vague.  Almost every software package in the Bioconductor
> repository has a vignette; the informal advice to contributors is that
> the vignette should take the reader through all the steps of a
> substantively interesting analysis with motivating/explanatory prose
> and executable code.  Many analysis processes rely on effective
> interoperability with independently maintained packages; thus the
> nightly building of all vignettes in Bioconductor serves to not only
> to provide some evidence of package soundness but also some degree of
> notification of decays of interoperability.  The main Bioconductor
> monograph, and the case studies book are both executable documents,
> written with Sweave.  I would imagine that a number of other UseR
> titles were composed in this way.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm a bit confused by the relationship between
CRAN and Bioconductor? I have seem some packages removed from
CRAN and moved to Bioconductor, for example. I think Bioconductor
focuses on genetics and related statistical problems, but there also
seems to be separate processes, separate repositories, etc., and it
includes packages that are not specific to the biological sciences.