On 05/07/2010 10:56, Martin Maechler wrote:
"PatB" == Patrick Burns<pbu...@pburns.seanet.com>
     on Sun, 04 Jul 2010 09:43:44 +0100 writes:

     PatB>  Is there a reason that 'which.min' and
     PatB>  'which.max' don't have an 'arr.ind'
     PatB>  argument?

well,  help(which.min)  tells you that they really were aimed at
doing their job *fast* for vectors.

Of course you are right and a generalization to arrays might be
convenient at times.

     PatB>  The context in which I wanted that was
     PatB>  a grid search optimization, which seems
     PatB>  like it would be reasonably common to me.

well, as the author of these two functions, I can only say

       "patches are welcome!"

and I think should be pretty simple, right ?
You just have to do very simple remapping of the 1d index 'i' back
to the array index, i.e., the same operation
you need to transform seconds into days:hours:minutes:seconds
{{and yes, we old-timers may recall that APL had an operator (I
   think "T-bar") to do that ...}

I think the exercise is just to copy the definition of
'which' and add four characters.

If the order of the if condition were reversed, then
possibly the slight reduction in speed of 'which.min'
and 'which.max' would be more than made up for in the
slight increase in speed of 'which'.

Pat

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

     PatB>  --
     PatB>  Patrick Burns
     PatB>  pbu...@pburns.seanet.com
     PatB>  http://www.burns-stat.com
     PatB>  (home of 'Some hints for the R beginner'
     PatB>  and 'The R Inferno')

--
Patrick Burns
pbu...@pburns.seanet.com