To be more precise, while the build process worked, the check did not. When
it got to the point "* checking for portable compilation flags in Makevars
..."
a number of shells popped up (to run c:\Rtools\sh.exe) and the process died.
This happens with Rcpp and cxxPack on an AMD machine running
Windows 7 (64bit), using the 64bit version of R.