Thank you. Your example really clarifies what the $initialize(...) function is supposed to do.

Do you know if there is a straightforward way to dispatch the $new(...) method based on the signature of the arguments? I am thinking along the lines of S4 methods with valid signatures.

Thanks again for the example.