    TTLAM> Kurt Hornik writes

    >> I think it would be better to use something like
    >>
    >> ll <- lapply(args, levels)
    >>
    >> !all(sapply(ll, identical, ll[[1L]]))
    >>
    >> [using union() is not quite right]

    TTLAM> Yes definitely. This line is in fact just a relic from a previous
idea I
    TTLAM> had.

I have now committed the amended proposal (rev 53925);
thank you for the feedbacks..

    >> The general comment is that if we support this I don't see why we
    >> should
    >> not also support c.ordered (and in fact also c.factor) with the same
    >> restrictions (identical level sequences for ordered and level sets for
    >> factors).  We already have Ops.factor and Ops.ordered using the same
    >> principle afaic.

Yes, I think, too.

    >> If we add c.ordered, we should be able to encapsulate the identity of
    >> levels testing into this, and simply use
    >>
    >> x <- c(...)
    >>
    >> and then call .Generic on the codes of x etc.

    TTLAM> Sounds reasonable. Ack.

Yes, adding c.factor() and c.ordered() seems reasonable in
principle.
However, S and R now have a more than 20 year old history of
silently coercing factors to there integer codes with c(),
that I'm not yet sure we can do this without breaking too much
code [[and I am pretty sure this topic has been discusses before]].

I think we should start discussing the issue in a new thread
with proper Subject explicitly mention "c()" or "c.factor"/"c.ordered".
Martin

    TTLAM> BR Thorn