Thanks very much to Hadley and Prof. Ripley for their replies -- and my apologies to the list for failing to check my facts before I posted:

Prof. Ripley's reply was correct: system.file('rawdata', package='testPackage') in a help page in package 'tstPackage' with subdirectory 'inst/rawdata' returned "~/Rpkgs/tstPackage.Rcheck/tstPackage/rawdata".

      I was once again misled by something I knew that wasn't so.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer