On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Koert Kuipers wrote:

Hello all,
I am trying to port the package RProtoBuf to windows. The developers of
RProtoBuf have given me some helpful pointers so far, but now I am stuck.

After having made what I think are the necessary changes to the package to compile on windows, "R CMD build RProtoBuf" outputs a somewhat cryptic error ("This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way") after which it deletes the

Well, that's a standard Windows error message: it is normally accompanied by a popup window with more information.

temporary directory in which it was working. How do I debug/investigate this? The relevant lines of the build output are pasted below.

Why are you trying to rebuild the package vignettes? Use Rcmd build --no-vignettes to get a tarball, Rcmd INSTALL to get an installed package: then you can run the installed package under a debugger (see the rw-FAQ) in the usual way to track down bugs in compiled code.

Thanks! Koert

g++ -shared -s -static-libgcc -o RProtoBuf.dll tmp.def ConnectionCopyingInputStr
eam.o ConnectionCopyingOutputStream.o ConnectionInputStream.o ConnectionOutputSt
ream.o DescriptorPoolLookup.o RSourceTree.o RWarningErrorCollector.o Rconnection
CopyingInputStream.o ZeroCopyInputStreamWrapper.o ZeroCopyOutputStreamWrapper.o
exceptions.o extractors.o lookup.o mutators.o rprotobuf.o streams.o wrapper_Arra
yInputStream.o wrapper_ArrayOutputStream.o wrapper_Descriptor.o wrapper_EnumDesc
riptor.o wrapper_EnumValueDescriptor.o wrapper_FieldDescriptor.o wrapper_FileDes
criptor.o wrapper_Message.o wrapper_MethodDescriptor.o wrapper_ServiceDescriptor
.o wrapper_ZeroCopyInputStream.o C:/Devel/R-2.12/library/Rcpp/lib/i386/libRcpp.a
-Lc:/Devel/mingw/msys/1.0/local/lib -lprotobuf -LC:/Devel/R-2.12/bin/i386 -lR
Info: resolving google::protobuf::FieldDescriptor::kTypeToCppTypeMap      by lin
king to __imp___ZN6google8protobuf15FieldDescriptor17kTypeToCppTypeMapE (auto-im
portc:/devel/rtools/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/../../../../mingw32/bin/l
d.exe: warning: auto-importing has been activated without --enable-auto-import s
pecified on the command line.
This should work unless it involves constant data structures referencing symbols
from auto-imported DLLs.)

installing to C:/DOCUME~1/kkuipers/LOCALS~1/Temp/RtmpRbU0Q2/Rinst25a17ae0/RProto
Buf/libs/i386
** R
** demo
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Warning: package 'Rcpp' was built under R version 2.12.1
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices ...
** testing if installed package can be loaded

* DONE (RProtoBuf)

Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk