On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, peter dalgaard wrote:

(Resending with fewer recipients...)

On Apr 8, 2011, at 07:09 , Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

--- On Fri, 8/4/11, peter dalgaard <pda...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Apr 7, 2011, at 23:57 , Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

Oh, I am tracking both R and Matrix via git-svn and
retrieves all revisions to all branches daily (or at least,
regularly). I.e. R svn head.  2.13.0 only forked off
recently and most of the trunk<->2.13.0rc differences
are so far mostly documentation-related. I could switch to
track R 2.13.x branch if you insist.

Please do. It's the branch that is supposed to stabilize
during prerelease times.

Also, please check the prerelease tarballs, errors in "make
dist" are not caught when building from svn.

Just so that there is no doubt, here is the recipe with the latest rc tar ball,
cutting-and-pasting from my command history:

Thanks. I wasn't expecting things to be different, just making a point about checking the right object. In principle, we could be putting in unstable development code in the trunk as soon as the branch was made.

And despite claims to the contrary earlier in this thread, we certainly did. (One example was in regexpr, although not AFAICS in a code branch used in this issue.) Once 2.x.0 branches, the trunk becomes a playpen for ideas considered too radical/experimental for a release a month or two off.

wget -m
http://cran.r-project.org/src/base-prerelease/R-rc_2011-04-07_r55373.tar.gz
cd /tmp
tar -zxpvf
~/cran.r-project.org/src/base-prerelease/R-rc_2011-04-07_r55373.tar.gz
cd R-rc/

export DEFS='-DUSE_TYPE_CHECKING_STRICT -DR_MEMORY_PROFILING' ; ./configure --enable-memory-profiling --enable-strict-barrier --enable-byte-compiled-packages

Note that the first define does nothing and the second just repeats what --enable-memory-profiling does. Neither are documented in current R AFAICS.

Aha... Does it happen without --enable-byte-compiled-packages? To quote NEWS:

"by default the compiler is not used in this release"

so bugs in the compiler are interesting, but not release-critical.

But --enable-byte-compiled-packages does nothing, as configure --help says in 2.13.0 RC (and AFAICS it is documented nowhere else).

You really can't asumme that things not described in the R-admin manual are actually relevant to R (or current R). autoconf puts things in configure that are boilerplate code we do not use (and I've tried to indicate which ones come from libtool or libintl).

--with-valgrind-instrumentation=2  ; make
cd src/library/
cd Recommended/
../../../bin/R CMD check --use-gct Matrix_0.999375-49.tar.gz

------------------------------
Running examples in ‘Matrix-Ex.R’ failed
The error occurred in:

R version 2.13.0 RC (2011-04-07 r55373)
Copyright (C) 2011 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
pkgname <- "Matrix"
source(file.path(R.home("share"), "R", "examples-header.R"))
gctorture(TRUE)
options(warn = 1)
library('Matrix')
Error in regexpr("package:", envName, fixed = TRUE) :
unprotected object (0x3be2ba8) encountered (was INTSXP)
Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Matrix'
Execution halted

--
Peter Dalgaard
Phone: (+45)38153501