Hi Henrik,

Just to clarify, you still have the ability of installing directory
structures that are partly empty. Actually 'R CMD INSTALL pkgpath/'
does this. And if srctarball.tar.gz contains empty dirs,
'R CMD INSTALL srctarball.tar.gz' will also keep them.

The problem is that *by default* 'R CMD build' removes those empty
dirs, unless you specify --keep-empty-dirs

The fact that 'R CMD build' and 'R CMD INSTALL' now have different
default behaviors is really a bad thing since when I'm working on
a package I typically do not use 'R CMD build' before I install it.
I use 'R CMD INSTALL' directly on the package source tree.
So everything looks ok to me because then empty dirs are installed.
It's only later when I build the source tarball that it will be
broken.

It's not just --keep-empty-dirs, it's also --resave-data. These
new options don't do the right thing by default and they are not
even consistent between 'R CMD build' and 'R CMD INSTALL'.

Cheers,
H.