Thanks,

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-ints.html#Future-directions

Normally I'd take more time to digest these things before commenting but
a few things struck me right away. First, use of floating point or double
as a replacement for int strikes me as "going the wrong way" as often
to get predictable performance you try to tell the compiler you have
ints rather than any floating time for which it is free to "round."  This
is even ignoring any performance issue. The other thing is that scaling
should not just be an issue of "make everything bigger" as the growth in
both data needs and computer resources is not uniform.

I guess my first thought to these constraints and resource issues
is to consider a paged dataframe depending upon the point at which
the 32-bit int constraint is imposed. A random access data struct
does not always get accessed randomly, and often it is purely sequential.
Further down the road, it would be nice if algorithms were implemented in a
block mode or could communicate their access patterns to the ds or
at least tell it to prefetch things that should be needed soon.

I guess I'm thinking mostly along the lines of things I've seen from Intel
such as ( first things I could find on their site as I have not looked in detail
in quite a while),

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Aintel.com+performance+optimization

as once you get around thrashing virtual memory, you'd like to preserve the
lower level memory cache hit rates too etc. These are probably not just
niceities,
at least with VM, as personally I've seen impl related speed issues make simple
analyses impractical.