I don't have anything to suggest on your specific example but perhaps these two notes are relevant.

1. As is mentioned in the documentation, it's generally a bad idea to write S4 initialize() methods for reference classes, rather than reference class methods for $initialize(): "a reference method is recommended rather than a method for the S4 generic function initialize(), because some special initialization is required for reference objects _before_ the initialization of fields."

2. In a simple example, there is no problem using .self in a $initialize() method.

######
ss <- setRefClass("ss", fields = c("a", "b", "c"),
    methods = list(
        initialize = function(...) {
            callSuper(...)
            .self$b <- .self$a
        },
        check = function()
             .self$c <- .self$a
    ))

s1 <- ss$new(a=1)
s1$check()
stopifnot(identical(s1$a, 1), identical(s1$a, s1$b),
          identical(s1$a, s1$c))
#######