On 25.07.2011 17:45, Ben Bolker wrote:

   I recently suggested to someone (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6789055/r-inconsistency-why-add-t-sometimes-works-and-sometimes-not-in-the-plot-functi/6789098#6789098
) that the should use methods("plot") or methods(class="function") to
locate the documentation on the plot method for objects of class
"function", but they pointed out that these don't actually work.

   I can't figure out why not: src/library/graphics/man/curve.Rd contains
the line

\method{plot}{function}(x, y = 0, to = 1, from = y, xlim = NULL, ylab =
NULL, \dots)

and src/library/graphics/DESCRIPTION contains

you mean the following line is in NAMESPACE rather than DESCRIPTION.

S3method(plot, "function")

  [presumably the extra quotes are in there because function is a
reserved word?]

  I'm not sure where else the information should be.  Searching around in
the code tree for information on tail.function (which is listed in the
methods:

methods(class="function")
[1] as.list.function head.function*   print.function   tail.function*

I find the same S3method syntax, so I guess the quotation marks aren't
the problem ...

?tail.function

tells us this one is from package "utils" and you can search for this function in the sources of the utils package

Or you could ask for

> getAnywhere("tail.function")

and R tells you

A single object matching ‘tail.function’ was found
It was found in the following places
  registered S3 method for tail from namespace utils
  namespace:utils
[.....]

Best wishes,
Uwe