Hi there,
new idea (at 10 at night). All the emails keep me thinking (btw thanks for all the feedback).
What does this do on linux?

getOption("pdfviewer")
### I got this idea from: getS3method("print","vignette")

On windows, (an advantage...) somebody wrote a little program "open.exe" that comes stock with an R-installation, which somehow accesses the file system to find the default program to for a certain file type. I am guessing this little beauty is the engine of "shell.exec".

(An honest) cheers,
Brian