A relevant report, not just for VGAM but for maintainers of other packages that define methods for functions that have both generic and non-generic versions in other packages.

The problem is that VGAM "Depends" on stats4 but does not import from it. So when VGAM is loaded, only the old version of summary() is available. Importing the relevant functions from stats4 in VGAM should fix the problem.

With the current R 2.14.1 this happens silently. With the latest r-devel, the installation of VGAM produces a warning:

"Functions for exporting methods must have been made generic, explicitly or implicitly; not true when loading 'VGAM' for 'AIC', 'coef', 'logLik', 'plot', 'summary', 'vcov' "

This implies (a bit obscurely) that the package has generic versions in its dependencies, but has not imported them.

Maintainers of CRAN packages should check installation against the development version. Warning messages like this suggest a problem with the imports.

John