On 08/02/2012 05:00 AM, r-devel-requ...@r-project.org wrote:
Now I just have to grovel over the R code in ns() and bs() to figure
out how exactly they pick knots and handle boundary conditions, plus
there is some code that I don't understand in ns() that uses qr() to
postprocess the output from spline.des. I assume this is involved
somehow in imposing the boundary conditions...

Thanks again everyone for your help,
-- Nathaniel
The ns and bs function post-process the spline bases to get an orthagonal basis matrix, this is the use of qr. I think this causes much more grief than it is worth, for the sake of a small increase in numeric stability. For instance when you plot the spline bases, they don't look anything like the basis functions one would expect. (Perhaps my background in numerical analysis was a hindrance here, since I know something about splines and thus have an expectation).

Terry Therneau