For the CRAN-package "surveillance", unloadNamespace("surveillance") gives the
following warning message:

In FUN(X[[2L]], ...) :
  Created a package name, ‘2012-08-28 22:42:37’, when none found

Similar warnings appear for the CRAN-package "solaR" and probably some other
packages.

I created a dummy package (tarball is attached) to find out where this warning
comes from.
Apparently, the warning is related to the package defining a virtual S4 class
using setOldClass("fooS3class"). However, the crucial thing is that the warning
only appears, when the methods package is imported in the NAMESPACE. There is
also no warning if setClass("fooS3class") is used instead. So my question is:
What would be the right way of handling S3 classes in the S4 world?

My minor second question is: Should the NAMESPACE state exportMethods(coerce)
if the package defines new coerce-methods? It seems that coercion-methods
defined by the package using setAs() are also visible after loading the package
without explicitly exporting these. However, if one includes
exportMethods(coerce) then one must also document them (as stated by R CMD
check).

Thanks for any hints!

   Sebastian

PS: using
R Under development (unstable) (2012-08-28 r60472)
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)