On 25/09/2012 03:45, Thomas Lumley wrote:
Is there some reason why

(1:2)+(1:3)
[1] 2 4 4
Warning message:
In (1:2) + (1:3) :
   longer object length is not a multiple of shorter object length

can't be made into an error?  I realise it was there in S-PLUS, but
since it produces a warning there can't be many examples on CRAN or
Bioconductor using it, and I can't think of any situation where it
would be used deliberately.

It produces a warning, not an R CMD check warning. There are lots of instances on CRAN, for example when running the examples for

CollocInfer DiceOptim FitAR LaplacesDemon MethComp OUwie ROptEst
RandVar RiDMC SweaveListingUtils TeachingSampling adlift
arulesViz caret cyclones depth disp2D gstat hyperSpec igraph
igraph0 iid influence irtoys isotone ldDesign libamtrack lqmm
mixtools phylobase polynom replicationDemos reporttools robustX
rsem sfsmisc spam spatstat survival tcltk2 tsDyn

let alone tests and vignettes.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk