Okay, thanks for the input, All.  I'd settled on the explicit coercion
as.data.frame as well as the myObject[] syntax which makes a lot of sense.  I'd
also like to implement an as.double() method.  However, I'm having trouble
embedding this into my package.  In the R file I have:

setMethod("as.double", "HD5Proxy", function(x) as.double(x[]))

and exportMethods(as.double) in my NAMESPACES file.  However, on checking the
package, I get an error saying that method "as.double" cannot be found.  I
noticed that the setMethod command actually returns a character vector with
"as.numeric", so I'm assuming this is the problem.  How do I explicitly export
my as.double method?

Thanks,

Chris