A new function in my heplots package wants to use a non-exported utility
function in the car package,
df.terms, but this depends on other non-exported functions.
 From the Writing R extensions manual, I thought I could do this via (in
my NAMESPACE)

importFrom(car, car:::df.terms, car:::df.terms.default, car:::is.aliased)

but I get:
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : objects 'car:::df.terms', 'car:::df.terms.default',
'car:::is.aliased' are not exported by 'namespace:car'
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'heplots'

\S 1.6.1 of the manual says regarding importFrom():
Using |foo:::f| instead of |foo::f| allows access to unexported objects.
This is generally not recommended, as the semantics of unexported
objects may be changed by the package author in routine maintenance.

Questions:
1.  Why doesn't this work?
2.  Is my only alternative to copy these functions to my package, also
unexported?

thx,
-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods