This thread is strange for me to read as I've been getting completion of
object names, function arguments names, and whatnot in ESS buffers for as
long as I can have been using it. And I'm only on ESS 12.09.

Perhaps you need to set `ess-use-R-completion` to non-nil. Or check the
value of `completion-at-point-functions`. Mine is '(ess-roxy-tag-completion
ess-filename-completion ess-object-completion t)

Peter