On 8/22/2013 7:45 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

On 22.08.2013 07:45, Yihui Xie wrote:
Hi,

So now R CMD check starts to warn against :::, but I believe sometimes
it is legitimate to use it when developing R packages. For example, I
have some utils functions that are not exported but I want to share
them across the packages that I maintain. I do not need to coordinate
with other authors about these internal functions since I'm the only
author and I know clearly what I'm doing, and I want to avoid copying
and pasting the code across packages just to avoid the NOTE in R CMD
check. What should I do in this case?

Nothing. The way you describe above seems to be a reasonable usage, iff
you are the same maintainer who knows what is going on. Other
maintainers should not use one of your not exported (hence non API)
functions, of course.

Uwe Ligges

Related to this is the use of other-package unexported utility functions that don't pass Uwe's iff test, but I, as maintainer,
want to use in my package.

Cases in point:  in heplots, I had used stats:::Pillai, stats:::Wilks,
stats:::Roy and stats:::LH for calculation in one of my functions.
Similarly, I had a need to use car:::df.terms, also unexported, but
don't want to ask John Fox to export it just for my use.  Uwe's
reply suggests that I should not be using car:::df.terms, however.

To avoid the NOTEs (which often triggers a 'pls fix' upon submission to
CRAN), I simply copied/pasted these functions to my package, but this seems wasteful.

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods