On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM, William Dunlap <wdun...@tibco.com> wrote:

> > In particular, updating a package with many reverse dependencies is a
> > frustrating process, for everybody. As a maintainer with ~150 reverse
> > dependencies, I think not twice, but ten times if I really want to
> publish
> > a new version on CRAN.
>
> It might be easier if more of those packages came with good test suites.

Test suites are great, but I don't think this would make my job easier.
More tests means more potential breakage. The extreme of not having any
examples and tests in these 150 packages would be the easiest for _me_,
actually. Not for the users, though.....

What would really help is either fully versioned package dependencies
(daydreaming here), or having a CRAN-devel repository, that changes and
might break often, and a CRAN-stable that does not change (much).

Gabor

[...]