On 11/07/2014 12:35, Spencer Graves wrote:
On 7/11/2014 1:48 AM, Adrian Dușa wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:59 AM, Uwe Ligges
<lig...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
On 10.07.2014 23:46, Adrian Dușa wrote:
Dear All,
[...]
Well, you cannot reserve a package name. Actually you can choose any
legal name.

The story is different if you want to submit it to BioConductor or
CRAN, then the name must be unique in the BioC + CRAN world. More
details in the CRAN policies, for example.
And yes, it works on n a first come, first served basis there.

       Please read CRAN policy:
"http://cran.fhcrc.org/web/packages/policies.html";.  I don't think they
have a policy for minimum content beyond passing "R CMD check" without
errors or significant notes and respecting the time of the CRAN
maintainers by not submitting updates more often than every 1-2 months.
A "package" consisting solely of the following DESCRIPTION passed "R CMD
check" for me just now;  you should confirm that with the latest
versions of R (and Rtools if you run Windows).  I can't speak for CRAN
maintainers, but it looks to me like submitting a package containing
only a DESCRIPTION file should reserve the name you want --- assuming
it's already available.

That would be rejected as wasting everyone's time. A CRAN package is expected to have examples (or failing that tests or a vignette).

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer

Package: tstPkg
Type: Package