Hi

I'm having trouble running R CMD build and check with UTC time zone setting in Windows Server 2012. I can't seem to get rid of the following warning:

  unable to identify current timezone 'C':
please set environment variable 'TZ'

However, setting TZ to either "Europe/London" or "GMT Standard Time" didn't help.

It seems to me that the warning originates in registryTZ.c (https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/776708efe6003e36f02587ad47b2eaaaa19e2f69/src/extra/tzone/registryTZ.c#L363). I have therefore looked at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation, to learn that TimeZoneKeyName is set to "UTC". This time zone is not defined in TZtable, but is present in this machine's HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones. (Also, the text of the warning permits the possibility that only the first character of the time zone is used for the warning message -- in the code, a const wchar_t* is used for a %s placeholder.)

Below is a link to the log of such a failing run. The first 124 lines are registry dumps, output of R CMD * is near the end of the log at lines 212 and 224.

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/krlmlr/r-appveyor/build/1.0.36

This happens with R 3.1.1 and R-devel r66309.

Is there a workaround I have missed, short of updating TZtable? How can I help updating TZtable? Thanks!

Cheers

Kirill