On 2017-04-12 14:40, Ulrich Windl wrote:

The last line of the example in droplevels' manual page seems to be
incorrect to me. I think it should read:
"table(droplevels(aq$Month))". Amazingly (I don't understand) both
variants seem to produce the same result (R 3.3.3): ---

The manual says that "The function 'droplevels' is used to drop unused levels from a 'factor' or, more commonly, from factors in a data frame." and, as documented, the 'droplevels' generic has methods for objects of class "data.frame" and "factor". So, your being amazed is a bit surprising given that 'aq' is a data frame.

Henric Winell

aq <- transform(airquality, Month = factor(Month, labels =
month.abb[5:9])) aq <- subset(aq, Month != "Jul") table(aq$Month)

May Jun Jul Aug Sep 31  30   0  31  30
table(droplevels(aq)$Month)

May Jun Aug Sep 31  30  31  30
table(droplevels(aq$Month))

May Jun Aug Sep 31  30  31  30

--- For the sake of learners, try to keep the examples simple and
useful, even though you experts want to impress the newbees...

Ulrich