Yes, the mentioned pull request for rJava is to workaround a JVM problem that is Linux-only.
I am not aware of any related problem on OSX.

In general, you can currently get two kinds of messages with infinite recursion:

Error: evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion / options(expressions=)?
Error: C stack usage XXX is too close to the limit

but in some situations you could get a segfault, an obvious one is infinite recursion in native code of a package.

If you're getting a segfault it is probably best to check with a debugger - infinite recursion would be easily identified in the stacktrace.

Best
Tomas