This is getting pretty convoluted.

The current behavior is consistent with the description at the top of
the help page -- it does not promise to stop evaluation once the first
non-TRUE is found.  That seems OK to me -- if you want sequencing you
can use

stopifnot(A)
stopifnot(B)

or

stopifnot(A && B)

I could see an argument for a change that in the multiple argumetn
case reports _all_ that fail; that would seem more useful to me than
twisting the code into knots.

Best,

luke

On Mon, 15 May 2017, Martin Maechler wrote:

Serguei Sokol <so...@insa-toulouse.fr>
    on Mon, 15 May 2017 16:32:20 +0200 writes:

   >> > I see in the archives that the attachment cannot pass.
   >> > So, here is the code:
   >>
   >> [....... MM: I needed to reformat etc to match closely to
   >> the current source code which is in
   >> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/base/R/stop.R
   >> or its corresponding github mirror
   >> https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/trunk/src/library/base/R/stop.R
   >> ]
   >>
   >> > Best,
   >> > Serguei.
   >>
   >> Yes, something like that seems even simpler than Peter's
   >> suggestion...
   >>
   >> It currently breaks 'make check' in the R sources,
   >> specifically in tests/reg-tests-2.R (lines 6574 ff),
   >> the new code now gives
   >>
   >> > ## error messages from (C-level) evalList
   >> > tst <- function(y) { stopifnot(is.numeric(y)); y+ 1 }
   >> > try(tst())
   >> Error in eval(cl.i, pfr) : argument "y" is missing, with no default
   >>
   >> whereas previously it gave
   >>
   >> Error in stopifnot(is.numeric(y)) :
   >> argument "y" is missing, with no default
   >>

   >> But I think that change (of call stack in such an error case) is
   >> unavoidable and not a big problem.

   > It can be avoided but at price of customizing error() and warning() calls
with something like:
   > wrn <- function(w) {w$call <- cl.i; warning(w)}
   > err <- function(e) {e$call <- cl.i; stop(e)}
   > tryCatch(r <- eval(cl.i, pfr), warning=wrn, error=err)

   > Serguei.

Well, a good idea, but the 'warning' case is more complicated
(and the above incorrect): I do want the warning there, but
_not_ return the warning, but rather, the result of eval() :
So this needs even more sophistication, using  withCallingHandlers(.)
and maybe that really get's too sophisticated and no
more "readable" to 99.9% of the R users ... ?

I now do append my current version -- in case some may want to
comment or improve further.

Martin

--
Luke Tierney