> >> I would suspect that there is something more subtle going on, New Zealand
> >> time is 10, 11, or 12 hours from Central European, depending on time of
> >> year (10 in our Summer, 12 in theirs and 11 during the overlap at both
> >> ends, if you must know), and we are talking a 1 hour difference.
> >>
> >> However DST transitions were both in March/April, so that's not it. Maybe
> >> a POSIX[lc]t expert can comment?
> >
> > If I change the month from December to June then I see the same phenomenon
> > in my Europe/Paris time zone. The issue seems to be that, for the date
> > chosen for the test, Summer/daylight savings time is in force in NZ and
> > some other parts of the southern hemisphere , but not in the northern
> > hemisphere.
> >

> Of course! I overlooked that the date in the test is the issue, not the
> current date. (Let's blame that on the fact that Summer seems to have finally
> arrived in Copenhagen...)

> "svn praise" claims this test is due to Martin Maechler in r71742, so maybe
> he knows how to fix it. (I wonder if he just used the current date at the
> time, or actually thought that there would be no DST issues in December ;-) )

> -pd

I think the former.  This was about fixing a segmentation fault problem
 (thread from Dec 6, 2016, on the R-devel mailing list, starting
  here: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2016-December/073448.html )
mostly,  but the 2nd part of the regression test evidently needs
more thought than I had put there.

Being pretty "stretched" time wise currently, I'm happy for
timezone-portable propositions to change the test.

Martin