On 21/05/2017 10:30 AM, Peter Carbonetto wrote:
Hi,

I uncovered a bug in installing R 3.4.0 from source in Linux, following the
standard procedure (configure; make; make install). Is this an appropriate
place to report this bug? If not, can you please direct me to the
appropriate place?

Generally R-devel is better; I've responded there.

The error occurs only when I do "make clean" followed by "make" again; make
works the first time.

The error is a failure to build NEWS.pdf:

Error in texi2dvi(file = file, pdf = TRUE, clean = clean, quiet = quiet,  :
  pdflatex is not available
Calls: <Anonymous> -> texi2pdf -> texi2dvi
Execution halted
make[1]: *** [NEWS.pdf] Error 1
make: [docs] Error 2 (ignored)

and can be reproduced wit the following sequence:

./configure
make
make clean
make

We usually don't build in the source directory; see the second recommendation in the admin manual section 2.1. So it's possible there's a bug triggered when you do that. Can you try building in a separate directory?

Duncan Murdoch

This suggests to me that perhaps "make clean" is not working.

I'm happy to provide more details so that you are able to reproduce the bug.

Thanks,

Peter Carbonetto, Ph.D.
Computational Staff Scientist, Statistics & Genetics
Research Computing Center
University of Chicago