On 23/05/2017 8:39 AM, Joris Meys wrote:
Hi all,

Don't know if this is a known issue, but I couldn't find anything so I
report anyway. When checking eg ?qr in both RStudio and the naked R IDE,
the help page is rendered incorrectly. More specifically, any use of
\bold{...} is printed as is, rather than interpreted as bold. Same happens
on ?svd.

In ?qr (and probably in ?svd), \bold is inside \eqn{}, so it is being interpreted as LaTeX markup rather than Rd markup, and since no alternative was given, is displayed as-is.

If you actually wanted it to display properly in HTML and ascii, the current \eqn{\bold{Ax} = \bold{b}} would have to be written as something like

\ifelse{latex}{\eqn{\bold{Ax} = \bold{b}}}{\bold{Ax} = \bold{b}}

which is pretty tedious to write, and it's not the only example on that page. So I doubt if anyone will fix it.

According to the manual Writing R Extensions, this should still be
recognized. When I try to use it in the help pages of my own packages,
\bold{} is interpreted correctly.

You missed the part about \eqn.

Duncan Murdoch

No idea what is going wrong and it's not that important, but I found it
curious enough to report.

Cheers
Joris