-------- Original Message --------
From: Hadley Wickham [mailto:h.wick...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2017 2:51 PM GMT
To: Simon Urbanek
Cc: Andreas Kersting; r-devel@r-project.org
Subject: [Rd] [WISH / PATCH] possibility to split string literals across multiple lines

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urba...@r-project.org> wrote:
As I recall this has been discussed at least a few times (unfortunately I'm
traveling so can't check the references), but the justification was never
satisfactory.

Personally, I wouldn't mind string continuation supported since it makes for
more readable code (I had one of my packages raise a NOTE in examples because
there is no way in R to split a long hash into multiple lines), but I would be
strongly against random removal of whitespaces as it's counter-intuitive,
misleading and makes it impossible to continue spaces on the next line. None of
the languages that I can think of with multiline strings do that as that's way
too dangerous.

Julia does, but uses triple quotes:
https://docs.julialang.org/en/stable/manual/strings/#triple-quoted-string-literals

Hadley