I'd like to emphasize that although Iñaki's example uses print(), it
also happens with other S3 generics. Please note that each of the
following examples might need to be run in a clean R session to work.

===========
Here's an example that doesn't use S3 dispatch. The finalizer runs correctly.

ident <- function(x) invisible(x)

env_with_finalizer <- function() {
  reg.finalizer(environment(), function(e) message("Finalizer called"))
  environment()
}

ident(env_with_finalizer())
gc() # Still in .Last.value
gc() # Finalizer called

===========
Here's an example that uses S3. In this case, the finalizer doesn't run.

ident <- function(x) UseMethod("ident")
ident.default <- function(x) invisible(x)

env_with_finalizer <- function() {
  reg.finalizer(environment(), function(e) message("Finalizer called"))
  environment()
}

ident(env_with_finalizer())
gc()
gc() # Nothing

However, if the S3 generic is called with another object, the
finalizer will run on the next GC:

ident(1)
gc() # Finalizer called

===========

This example is the same as the previous one, except that, at the end,
instead of calling the same S3 generic on a different object (that is,
ident(1)), it calls a _different_ S3 generic on a different object
(mean(1)).

ident <- function(x) UseMethod("ident")
ident.default <- function(x) invisible(x)

env_with_finalizer <- function() {
  reg.finalizer(environment(), function(e) message("Finalizer called"))
  environment()
}

ident(env_with_finalizer())
gc()