Here's a silly little stunt:

> Y <- rexp(10) ; x <- 1:10
> plot(lm(I(Y^.3)~x))
Hit <Return> to see next plot:
Error: $ operator is invalid for atomic vectors

The root cause is that the "AsIs" class lingers on the intercept passed to
abline() via qqline(), so abline sees that it has been passed an object and
uses coef() and coef.default() looks for object$coefficients, and... poof!

The immediate workaround is just to drop the I(), but as I() is frequently
needed on the right hand side of formulas, this looks like a rather easy
mistake to make, so it might be worth fixing, but how?

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501