On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 11:10 AM brodie gaslam via R-devel
<r-devel@r-project.org> wrote:

>  > On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 7:00:09 AM EDT, peter dalgaard
> <pda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Expected, see FAQ 7.31.
> >
> > You just can't trust == on FP operations. Notice also
>
> Additionally, since you're implementing a "mean" function you are testing
> against R's mean, you might want to consider that R uses a two-pass
> calculation[1] to reduce floating point precision error.

This one is important.

FWIW, matrixStats::mean2() provides argument refine=TRUE/FALSE to
calculate mean with and without this two-pass calculation;

> a <- c(x[idx],y[idx],z[idx]) / 3
> b <- mean(c(x[idx],y[idx],z[idx]))
> b == a
[1] FALSE
> b - a
[1] 2.220446e-16

> c <- matrixStats::mean2(c(x[idx],y[idx],z[idx]))  ## default to refine=TRUE
> b == c
[1] TRUE
> b - c
[1] 0

> d <- matrixStats::mean2(c(x[idx],y[idx],z[idx]), refine=FALSE)
> a == d
[1] TRUE
> a - d
[1] 0
> c == d
[1] FALSE
> c - d
[1] 2.220446e-16

Not surprisingly, the two-pass higher-precision version (refine=TRUE)
takes roughly twice as long as the one-pass quick version
(refine=FALSE).

/Henrik