It's possible to run R (or a c parent process) as a background process
via a named pipe, and then write script files to the named pipe.
However, the details depend on what shell you use.

The last time I tried (which was a long time ago), I created a small c
program to run R, read from the named pipe from within c, then wrote
it's contents to R's standard in.

It might be possible to do it without the c program.
Haven't checked.