On 09/12/2020 9:55 a.m., Jan van der Laan wrote:

I think only allowing functions on the right hand side (e.g. only the |>
operator and not the |:>) would be enough to handle most cases and seems
easier to reason about. The limitations of that can easily be worked
around using existing functionality in the language.

I agree that would be sufficient, but I don't see how it makes reasoning easier. The transformation is trivial, so I'll assume that doesn't consume any mental energy compared to understanding what the final expression actually does. Using your currying example, the choice is between

 x |> mean(na.rm = TRUE)

which transforms to mean(x, na.rm = TRUE), or your proposed

 x |> curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)

which transforms to

 curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)(x)

To me curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)(x) looks a lot more complicated than mean(x, na.rm = TRUE), especially since it has the additional risk that users can define their own function called "curry".

Duncan Murdoch

The problem with only allowing

x |> mean

and not

x |> mean()

is with additional arguments. However, this can be solved with a
currying function, for example:

x |> curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)

The cost is a few additional characters.

In the same way it is possible to write a function that accepts an
expression and returns a function containing that expression. This can
be used to have expressions on the right-hand side and reduces the need
for anonymous functions.

x |> fexpr(. + 10)
dta |> fexpr(lm(y ~ x, data = .))

You could call this function .:

x |> .(. + 10)
dta |> .(lm(y ~ x, data = .))

Dummy example code (thanks to  a colleague of mine)

fexpr <- function(expr){
    expr <- substitute(expr)
    f <- function(.) {}
    body(f) <- expr
}
. <- fexpr

curry <- function(fun,...){
    L <- list(...)
    function(...){
      do.call(fun, c(list(...),L))
    }
}

`%|>%` <- function(e1, e2) {
    e2(e1)
}

1:10 %>% mean
c(1,3,NA) %|>% curry(mean, na.rm = TRUE)
c(1,3,NA) %|>% .( mean(., na.rm = TRUE) ) %>% identity
c(1,3,NA) %|>% fexpr( . + 4)
c(1,3,NA) %|>% function(x) mean(x, na.rm = TRUE) %>% fexpr(. + 1)

--
Jan