On 18/02/2021 18:30, Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. via R-devel wrote:
This is a CRAN question:

I have taken care to compress files in the data directory using "xz" (and
checked that it
is the best).  Is there then any impact or use for the LazyDataCompression
option in the
DESCRIPTION file?

I have difficulty comprehending that, so I will try to answer my guess at what you meant to ask.

What LazyDataCompression does is completely separate from the contents of the data directory. As the manual say

<quote>
Some packages using ‘LazyData’ will benefit from using a form of compression other than gzip in the installed lazy-loading database. This can be selected by the --data-compress option to R CMD INSTALL or by using the ‘LazyDataCompression’ field in the DESCRIPTION file. Useful values are bzip2, xz and the default, gzip. The only way to discover which is best is to try them all and look at the size of the pkgname/data/Rdata.rdb file.
</quote>

When a package is installed with LazyData (and you neglected to tell us if that is the case), the datasets in the data directory are loaded (and hence decompressed), and stored in a database. For a LazyData package the compression used in the data directory only affects the source package size (I guess your criterion for 'best') and how fast it is installed (rarely a consideration but there have been LazyData packages where installing the data takes most of the time). At run-time only the compression specified by LazyDataCompression is relevant.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk