On 22/03/2021 3:32 p.m., Ivan Krylov wrote:
On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 11:51:41 -0500
Dirk Eddelbuettel <e...@debian.org> wrote:

R plots however all have one each. Needless to say I may also have
more than one plot device open...  Would anyone know how we can force
these to aggregate under just one?

Grouping seems to be achieved by setting the window_group component of
the WM_HINTS property of the window:

https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/specs/ICCCM/icccm.html#wm_hints_property

ICCCM goes on to say that "The window group leader may be a window that
exists only for that purpose <...> [not] mapped either by the client or
by the window manager".

Is that enough of a direction? I have only ever written X11 code using
xcb, not Xlib, but I could try to help further if needed.

I just did a quick grep of the R-devel sources, and don't see WM_HINTS used there at all. (This is after searching rgl sources, with the same result.) I'd be happy to add something to rgl if you could point me to an example: it also uses Xlib like R, so once that works I could propose a patch to R.

Duncan Murdoch