[copying the list]

svd() does support matrices with long vector data. Your example works
fine for me on a machine with enough memory with either the reference
BLAS/LAPACK or the BLAS/LAPACK used on Fedora 33 (flexiblas backed, I
believe, by a version of openBLAS). Take a look at sessionInfo() to
see what you are using and consider switching to another BLAS/LAPACK
if necessary. Running under gdb may help tracking down where the issue
is and reporting it for the BLAS/LAPACK you are using.

Best,

luke