The default was now changed in R-devel to the local application data (e.g. C:\Users\username\AppData\Local), which should solve the issues with synchronization/backup/etc services and seems to be more in line with conventions for the OS. It is a hidden folder, to open in Windows explorer one can use e.g. shell.exec() from R.

Best
Tomas