I've felt that "as.Date" should default to origin "1970-01-01", so I added a modification to Ecfun:

Ecfun::as.Date1970(0)

If R-devel chose to change the default on this, I would happily deprecate Ecfun::as.Date1970 in favor of base::as.Date ;-)

I would therefore support changing the documentation to match the new behavior.

          Spencer Graves