On 2/14/23 12:11, Roman Hille wrote:
Can you help please?

All file und dir funktions and also basename() do not work in R under Windows OS
if the path is longer than 260 characters.
The problem seems to be, that the manifest for all R executables do not have
the longPathAware switch in the manifest.
(The registry and or the group policy for the long path name support are
enabled)

This is the correct extension for the manifest of the executables.
<ws2:longPathAware>true</ws2:longPathAware>

Is it possible to add this into all manifests for windows executables?
Or is ther an other opportunity?

Snippet from Microsoft:

<application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<windowsSettings
xmlns:ws2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings";>
<ws2:longPathAware>true</ws2:longPathAware>
</windowsSettings>
</application>

Declaring that R is long path aware is indeed easy, however, before we can do this, we actually have to make it long path aware, which is a lot of work. Incidentally it is work in progress, I've been working on that in the last few weeks.

Currently, neither R-devel nor any released version of R is long path aware. One possible work-around is to use mapped drives to make the paths shorter.

Whenever possible, it is better to make the paths short, anyway, because a number of other applications as well as some parts of Windows don't support long paths. Very likely this will also be the case of contributed packages. Indeed, and consequently, a number of users will not enable long paths on their systems.

Best
Tomas

Roman