On 2/23/23 03:27, Hiroaki Yutani wrote:
Hi,

I found dirname() behaves differently on R-devel on Windows. Since I'm not
sure which behavior is right, let me ask here before filing this to R's
Bigzilla.

On R 4.2.2., we get

     > dirname("C:/")
     [1] "C:/"

However, on R-devel (r83888), we get

     > dirname("C:/")
     [1] "."

?dirname says 'dirname returns the part of the path up to but excluding the
last path separator, or "." if there is no path separator,' but I don't see
how the root path is supposed to be treated based on this rule (, whether
it's WIndows or UNIX-alike).
Thanks for spotting the difference, I've reverted to the previous behavior, the change was unintentional. If you spot any other suspicious changes in behavior in file-system operations, please report.
What should we expect as the return value of dirname("C:/")? I feel the
current behavior on R 4.2.2 is right, but I'd like to confirm.

I also think the old behavior is better, even though it could be argued whether the "/" in "C:/" is a path separator or not, and whether it is trailing or not. But the behavior is in line with Unix where dirname of "/" is also "/". Msys2 would return "C:".

If  "/" in "C:/" is a path separator but not a trailing path separator, then basename("C:/") should probably be "" and not "C:", and this would be in line with what R does on Unix. However, to be in line with Unix, I think the basename of "C:/" should be "C:/". Yet, Msys2 returns "C:" which is what R does now.

So what these functions should do on Windows is definitely tricky. In either case the behavior is now again as in R 4.2.2.

Best
Tomas

Best,
Yutani