x$`string` is not the same as x$'string'.  They may act similarly now, but
they do not parse the same.

> vapply(as.list(quote(list$`component`)), typeof, "")
[1] "symbol" "symbol" "symbol"
> vapply(as.list(quote(list$"component")), typeof, "")
[1] "symbol"    "symbol"    "character"
> vapply(as.list(quote(list$'component')), typeof, "")
[1] "symbol"    "symbol"    "character"

Single and double quoted character sequences do parse to the same thing
(character) but backquoted ones parse to symbols (aka names).

-Bill