I am not personally for or against changes to the R main language but do find
that too many people keep wanting to change R so it should be like some other
language. Many features would be nice, especially if they do not break existing
code, but the time and effort and other overheads need to be a consideration.

R has long had a concept of returning a data structure with inner parts such as
from calling lm() or ggplot() that can be used to store lots of info, often
including saved copies of the data and parameters that generated it, and you
can often update the object or query it for specific fields or pass it intact
to some next step.

Anyone wanting to return multiple results has classically done something like
return a list containing named items and your code had the option of unpacking
the parts you want and ignoring others. This may not be modern or elegant but
so what?

I could go through a long list of nice things I see in other languages and ask
if R has that ability now (perhaps in a package) or should have it.

Do we need a swap like:

  a, b <- b, a

Do we need a dual comparative like:

If ( -5 < X < 5) ...

The two examples work fine in Python as do many other things but Python is not
R and cannot trivially do many things R does either.

Many programming languages have been converging in some ways. SCALA version 3
simplified many parts of the language by borrowing their own version of using
indentation from languages like Haskell and Python. Personally, I like it but
it causes some headaches for older code and you have to either change the code
or disable the feature. So, anyone think R should follow through and also allow
many places that now use grouping by curly braces or other methods, to use
indentation level?

I am NOT saying any additions are impossible but we need to keep the base
language working well on existing code or perhaps make a clean break and make a
new version of R (I assume logically Q as in S went to S-- (AKA R) so R-- would
be Q, LOL!

There is a community of users of a language who are partially here based on
existing R packages. Some can probably find more and more functionality along
the same lines as Python modules and elsewhere with some work and continue in a
language that may fit their personal preferences. But the people responsible
for maintaining and developing R are not just casual users and would have to do
serious amounts of work choosing what it would look like and how to implement
it, and deal with edge cases and complaints.

The new R pipe is a case in point. Why was it added? I mean I have been using
various pipes including in the tidyverse for years quite happily. I did not
need it added except perhaps for performance reasons. But when it came out, it
had a rather glaring incompatibility in some ways with not providing a fairly
trivial way to pass the pipeline to anything other than the first positional
variable. Sure, they added a kludge using a horrible to read anonymous function
syntax that I suspect many will not use and rather find their own ways around.

But am I glad it was added? Sure. Could they have improved something else
instead that was missing? I mean I use the glue package but would love
something like an f-string built in that did pretty much stuff like that as can
be found in other languages.

This may sound stupid, but if someone wants features from another language,
maybe they should consider using the two languages together and alternating
which one diddles with your data as can be done multiple ways already.

Will that solve what the OP wants? Nope. They want whatever tool they are using
to become a Swiss Army Knife.

But there is something to be said for a sparse language that does a few things
well and does not grow just to grow and be like everyone else.